The Postgraduate Certificate in Mission Care and Counseling helps you grow your skillset and your faith, giving you the tools to help address peoples’ spiritual and emotional needs, through Christ. As you learn the theory and best practices of counseling and spiritual care, you’ll also gain the skills necessary to work in cross-cultural ministry settings.
What You’ll Learn
- How to analyze and address the impact of cross-cultural living upon individuals and families
- Tools and techniques for assessing and diagnosing the mental status of missionaries in relation to enculturation dynamics
- Methods for developing effective treatment plans to foster emotional and life balance
How Long It Will Take
At 15 semester hours, this program will take approximately one year.
Is It Offered On Campus or Online?
This master’s program is offered on campus, in a face-to-face delivery format.
What You Can Do with This Degree
Although not licensed counselors, missionary care students are trained in counseling services and techniques. They’re prepared to help with the emotional and spiritual needs of missionaries and others working in cross-cultural settings, as well as communities.
- Missionary support services specialist
- Consultant to mission agencies
- Training- and counseling-services support provider in cross-cultural settings
Why Earn Your Master’s at CBS?
- Small, close-knit classes that serve as safe spaces to learn, grow, and gain insight into God, yourself, and others
- Holistic training from experienced professors who practice the subjects they teach, in courses they’ve designed to be equal parts, intellectual, emotional, and fieldwork oriented
- Intentionally inclusive learning environments that respect all cultures and backgrounds
- Faculty and staff who are dedicated to getting to know you and providing not only academic support, but spiritual support and guidance as well
What You Need to Know Before You Apply
Course of Study (15 hours)
|Course Number||Course||Credit Hours|
|CHL 5001||Chapel I||0|
|CNC 9474||Clinical Applications in Missionary Care||3|
|CNC 9541||Missionary Care for Career Transitions||3|
|CNC 9571||Single and Family Issues in Missions||3|
|CNC 9740||Organizational Missionary Care Services||3|
|GLS 9531||Missiological Reflections||3|
Note: This certificate program is not eligible for federal Title IV financial aid funds – i.e. Federal Direct Loans. Students who are interested in exploring other financial aid options should contact the Financial Aid Office.
Ready to learn about how you can enter into the Postgraduate Certificate in Missionary Care program from Columbia Biblical Seminary?
Steven A. Johnson
Assistant Professor of Ministry Care
B.A., Indiana University (chemistry & psychology); M.S., Indiana University (philosophy); M.A., Christian Theological Seminary (marriage & family therapy); Ph.D., Indiana University (philosophy); ScD, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj, Romania (evidence-based psychotherapy)Read More...
Professor of Missionary Care
B.S., Holmes College of the Bible; M.A.C.E., Columbia International University; M.Ed., Regent University