A Postgraduate Certificate in Pastoral Care can deepen your well of knowledge in meeting the spiritual and emotional needs of parishioners, as well as church and organization leaders. Our Christ-focused curriculum will teach you a range of biblical-theological knowledge and practical leadership skills so that you can counsel a wider variety of pastoral care issues.
What You’ll Learn
- How to develop an awareness of clinical pathology
- Methods of addressing the needs of those you serve effectively
- Advanced skills in planning and treatment
How Long It Will Take
Six months, or one semester
Is It Offered On Campus or Online?
This certificate program is offered on campus, in a face-to-face delivery format.
What You Can Do with This Degree
Although not licensed counselors, pastoral care students are trained in counseling services and techniques. They’re prepared to help with the emotional and spiritual needs of individuals and families in church and ministry settings.
- Church counseling center support team member
- Shepherding pastor in a local church
- Church or nonprofit counselor
Why Earn Your Master’s at CBS?
- Small, close-knit classes that serve as safe spaces to learn, grow, and gain insight into God, yourself, and others
- Holistic training from experienced professors who practice the subjects they teach, in courses they’ve designed to be equal parts, intellectual, emotional, and fieldwork oriented
- Intentionally inclusive learning environments that respect all cultures and backgrounds
- Faculty and staff who are dedicated to getting to know you and providing not only academic support, but spiritual support and guidance as well
What You Need to Know Before You Apply
Course of Study (9 hours)
|Course Number||Course||Credit Hours|
|CHL 5001||Chapel I||0|
|CNC 6540||Spiritual Transformation and Group Process||3|
|CNC 6710||Brief and Solution-focused Counseling||3|
|CNC 6711||Psychopathology for Ministry Contexts or||3|
|CNC xxxx||CNC Elective||3|
Note: This certificate program is not eligible for federal Title IV financial aid funds – i.e. Federal Direct Loans. Students who are interested in exploring other financial aid options should contact the Financial Aid Office.
Ready to learn about how you can enter into the Postgraduate Certificate in Pastoral Care program from Columbia Biblical Seminary?
Steven A. Johnson
Assistant Professor of Ministry Care
B.A., Indiana University (chemistry & psychology); M.S., Indiana University (philosophy); M.A., Christian Theological Seminary (marriage & family therapy); Ph.D., Indiana University (philosophy); ScD, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj, Romania (evidence-based psychotherapy)Read More...
Professor of Missionary Care
B.S., Holmes College of the Bible; M.A.C.E., Columbia International University; M.Ed., Regent University